16 August 2013

Blog Challenge // What's at the top of your bucket list

Even though I've thought of creating one, I never really have one existing. But of course, I know in my heart what is (and will always be) on the very top of my bucket list.

To witness aurora with my own eyes.

Image Credit: walkadog

"An aurora (plural: aurorae or auroras; from the Latin word aurora, "sunrise" or the Roman goddess of dawn) is a natural light display in the sky particularly in the high latitude (Arctic and Antarctic) regions, caused by the collision of energetic charged particles with atoms in the high altitude atmosphere (thermosphere). The charged particles originate in the magnetosphere and solar wind and, on Earth, are directed by the Earth's magnetic field into the atmosphere. Most aurorae occur in a band known as the auroral zone, which is typically 3° to 6° in latitudinal extent and at all local times or longitudes. The auroral zone is typically 10° to 20° from the magnetic pole defined by the axis of the Earth's magnetic dipole. During a geomagnetic storm, the auroral zone expands to lower latitudes."

- Information taken from Wikipedia
I can't remember exactly when and how I got mermerised by aurora, maybe it was a documentary from tv, maybe it was an article from the internet. Either way, I knew there and then that this is something I must witness with my own eyes before my life comes to an end.

Of course, when I naively declare my wish to a cousin of mine 1X years ago, he was impressed but did not forget to lay out the hardcore truth - it is expensive.

Places like Alaska and Greenland are expensive to travel to, let alone the accommodation and whatsnot. Of course, it's not like long-term planning is impossible, but the fact that clock is ticking every second makes it wonder if I will ever have the chance.

We deal with different issues everyday. To others, it may seems unimportant or peanut. To the characters in the story, every small stone can create a big ripple. Life is short, but heavily burdened. Opportunities are difficult to come by, and even so, it takes a lot of courage and thinking to make a decision that could change your life.

Erm, I think I digressed big time.

Well, I am still determined to keep this on the top of my bucket list. For now. Hopefully it will remained irreplaceable and get strike off one day.

What about you? What is claiming the #1 on your bucket list?

No comments:

Post a Comment