02 December 2014

On The Shelf: Imaginary Girls

Disclaimer: The content ahead may or may not contain spoilers for the said book. Any opinions or thoughts are personal, neither the author nor the seller has any influence in this review.

Imaginary Girls by Nova Ren Suma

Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. After a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away - away from home, away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns home at last, she finds a precarious and deadly balance waiting for her. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

In to the first chapter, I had thought Chloe was that baby sister living in her well-loved sister's shadows. Well, in a way, she was. People see Ruby in Chloe, except she don't shine as bright, but Ruby loves her baby sister more than anything. They are important to each other, they live for each other.

I pitied Chloe when she was sent away from her sister, forced to live a life without someone precious. I hated how it took so long for Ruby to get in touch with her. I rooted for their reunion. I got as puzzled as Chloe when she finally return to her more than before protective sister, but understand the same way she consoled herself to. What I couldn't be on the same page was how Chloe accepts every reasoning given by Ruby on things she saw with her eyes, things that were not meant to exist prior her departure two years ago.

As I read on, I realised I was trying to find logic between each events and reasons. It was only until the accidental and very last party Chloe threw then I realised what book I am reading. I really hate how the book ended, leaving me in suspense and burning questions. How did Ruby managed to warp Chloe away from the outside world, leaving it impossible for her birth father to contact her? Why did Owen forgot the existence of whom Chloe was fighting with the moment they went out of the bubble? Is Ruby who I think she was?

This book is not a bad read, but definitely one I immediately chuck to my shelf and hoping to never pick it up again. I do not want that rage in me to resurface.

This is a book review written for Dreams, etc Book Club discussion. See how others think of this book!

Would you recommend this book to anyone? What other books of the author have you read?


FOLLOW ME: BLOGLOVIN // GOOGLE+ // INSTAGRAM // TWITTER



No comments:

Post a Comment